Monday 28 April 2008

Staying the Course

I'm not sure if this is Week 8 or 9 for me but I weighed in at 157 lbs. today. I'v lost 12 lbs. in total. For the past two weeks I've done well at exercise, maintaining 5 times each week - 2, 45 min. weight sessions and 2, 40 min. walks at a brisk pace, and 1, 45 min. walk with 2, 3 min. runs interspersed (interval training).

Before the week-end I was 156 lbs. and struggled with a lot of cravings and succumbed to many bad choices. I ate a whole large bag of Miss Vickies Black Pepper and Lime Potatoe Chips, several large chocolate bars, jujubes and other available treats. Some I even went to specifically purchase. I felt lousy after each indulgence and frustrated with my lack of self discipline.

My portion sizes increased over the week-end too. Interestingly enough, after each 'larger' portion, I felt too full. I recognized the feeling and was encouraged by that. The portion sizes I had this past week-end may have even been slightly less than my regular portions before I joined you all with "stopping the slide". My hope is I will be conscious of my 'too full' memories, to not go down that path very often again.

I think one of the things I am learning through this process of accountability and overcoming temptations, and replacing unhealthy choices with healthier ones is that we cannot wallow or stay there when we fail. We have to acknowledge the failure or unwise choice and move on from there, even if we have to do it several times each day. Discouragement with one bad choice doesn't necessarily have to lead us to other bad choices.

"Oh well, I blew it already a few times today so I'll keep right on going today and get back on track tomorrow."
That mantra isn't healthy for me. I feel better when I can say, "Well I have blown it several times already today, but I'm going to stop right now and make a wise finish for this day"

When I resolve at some point in the day to quit giving into my food addiction, I feel good about that. It makes it easier the next day to resolve to be more successful that day. Once I've had 2-3 days in a row of more wise choices than unwise, I want to continue. It feels good and I know I'll see the results on the scale or in measurements at the end of the week.

It so helps setting goals, even at risk of failure, because I have a clear target.

So, my upcoming goal is to be at 155 lbs. when I get on the plane for Winnipeg on Thursday May 1. That means 2 lbs. in 3 days. I do have my period right now so if I can make wise food choices I just might make it.

If I don't, it's o.k. because I have made a valiant effort. I am determined to walk while I'm there and be diligent in my health consciousness. I will ask my cousin to hold me accountable so I am more likely to succeed. My dear Hannah has agreed to be a walking partner so I hope I'm setting myself up for success.

So my encouragement for myself and others this week is to "Stay the Course". If we blow it, stop, assess and choose differently the next opportunity. We can become healthier, thinner, and slimmer one choice at a time.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

"We cannot wallow or stay there when we fail. We have to acknowledge the failure or unwise choice and move on from there, even if we have to do it several times each day. Discouragement with one bad choice doesn't necessarily have to lead us to other bad choices." Amen sister Fox!

Congratulations on being 157lb! Yeay for you. I am so inspired by your exercise constency too.

Very encouraging!

Shan said...

Thank you for your words - I am one who tends to think "might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb". I know it's damaging but I really struggle with that.