Tuesday 15 April 2008

The Contest

The weekend was kind of low-exercise, because we were getting ready to get our puppy on Monday and I was busy cleaning and decluttering in preparation for that. But yesterday, Monday, I did the first of the Couch to 5K interval workouts, Week Two. I should have had two more workouts of Week One, but it was a bit too easy so I skipped ahead.

Last week I started to develop shin splints. I used to get these nine or ten years ago, when I was doing 1.5 hours of high-impact aerobics four to five times weekly. (This was before kids, of course. Who has that kind of time nowadays?) It was excruciatingly painful and I remember it well. So, when I started getting some symptoms I jumped on the prevention right away.

First off, I need new shoes. I can't afford them right now, so I will just have to make do with what I have for the time being.

Second, I am (I think) an "underpronator". I have very high arches and I hit the ground with heel, then outer edge of foot, then ball of foot. I have to be careful about my running technique, stride length, and the slant of the surface.

Third, I am heavy. I am pretty close to 190 pounds, and that kind of impact over and over is going to be hard on my body. Good for it - but hard on it. This calls for careful warming up and cooling down, careful choice of surface, attention to form, and cautious increase of running time. Two weeks ago I ran for about 30 minutes, total. Last week I ran for a total of about 60 minutes, spread out over four runs. It was too much, too soon.

I am surprised how much I would miss running if I weren't able to do it. This isn't because I love running - I'd much rather be lifting weights or (bliss of blisses) rowing a boat. But running is shorts + shoes + jacket + out my front door = exercise. It doesn't get much easier or cheaper than that.

In other news:

My sister-in-law is also trying to lose weight this year. She has imposed a Junk Moratorium on herself, and has invited anyone who pleases to join her.

I have joined her, and I have put this prize into the Pot:
the winner's choice of
a) handknit socks; or
b) a lace scarf.

The winner, of course, being the person who holds out longest.

The rules aren't hard and fast yet, but I'm sure they'll be hammered out over time. Amy has ruled out, for herself, chocolate, doughnuts, chips, fries, pop, cakes, cookies. I will be doing the same as she...if I think of anything else I'll add it.

Anyway, if you are interested in joining us, please stop by her blog and sign yourself up. So far there are only three of us, so it's not a huge contest or anything, but the element of competition could be very helpful.

It'll be interesting to see how long we can remain, to quote Jerry Seinfeld, "Master of our domain."

Hee hee.

4 comments:

Ames said...

Wow, I feel so famous. It was Karen's idea for the competition, but I asked for others to join. We should come up with some rules. Ideas, anybody?

Belinda said...

It's very late here, so my brain isn't up to much, but it's so much fun to have more encouragement and more friends taking up the fitness challenge in their own way. Go ladies!

I did throw out the remains of the tortilla chips tonight, which I was tempted to polish off.

I don't know if I could stick to a moratorium, but I will give it some thoughts. It's fun to think of prizes!!

Belinda said...

It's very late here, so my brain isn't up to much, but it's so much fun to have more encouragement and more friends taking up the fitness challenge in their own way. Go ladies!

I did throw out the remains of the tortilla chips tonight, which I was tempted to polish off.

I don't know if I could stick to a moratorium, but I will give it some thoughts. It's fun to think of prizes!!

Karen said...

How's the running going? When did you start? What's your favorite book that deals with form? I am not a natural athlete and will need all the help I can get with this new venture in my life. I've stuck to the plan but the real running starts in a few weeks.